Tuesday 8 December, 2020
At the Damascus College Awards and Achievement celebration on Friday 4 December, the College acknowledged the significant achievements of the student cohort for their efforts throughout 2020.
As part of the celebration, the Catherine King Community Shield Award was awarded to Principal Mr Matthew Byrne.
The Catherine King Community Shield is awarded in recognition of someone within the Damascus community who has embodied the school spirit and who has made a significant contribution to the College.
Through what has been an unprecedented year, Matt has displayed emotion, empathy, understanding, care, unwavering resilience and perseverance throughout the 2020 COVID pandemic and its direct effects on the Damascus Community – Students, Staff and Families.
Matt has lead the Community of Damascus College through such uncertain times, with the continual priorities of;
- Maintaining the safety of the entire Damascus community
- Ensuring we remain connected and support one another
- Ensuring continuity of quality learning and teaching
- Being willing to adapt, change and try new things, recognising that we will make mistakes at times.
- …all this, through the context of the college’s Catholic Christian faith tradition.
Matt’s complete care and concern for the safety and well-being of the community throughout this year, has been at the forefront of his decision making, guidance and leadership.
Matt has absolutely embodied the school spirit, and worked endlessly and tirelessly on the betterment of the school environment, particularly in 2020.
Well done Matt and thank you from the Damascus community.